A TIR Carnet Holder is a person authorized by the TIR Association and the Customs authorities to receive and use TIR Carnets. Refer to Article 6 and Annex 9 Part II of the TIR Convention.

The Declaration of Engagement is a contract between the TIR Association (Mwasalat) and the TIR Carnet Holder where the TIR Carnet Holder agrees to comply with the regulations set by IRU for the implementation of the provisions of the TIR Convention. The TIR Carnet Holder also agrees to comply with Customs laws and regulations, and to furnish certain financial guarantees. The text of the Declaration of Engagement provides the details of the TIR Carnet Holder’s obligations.


  • 1. Must ensure that the TIR Carnet, the approved vehicle and the goods are properly presented to the relevant Customs offices at departure, transit order and at destination.
  • 2. He must take reasonable steps to ensure that the TIR Carnet declaration of the goods is parallel to the goods actually being transported.

If any of these responsibilities are not met, the Holder will be held accountable for paying the duties and taxes on the goods that are being transported, should they become due during the course of a TIR operation and may, in addition, be penalized by the imposition of fines or penalties; and/or held financially responsible for the unlimited payment of all duties and taxes liable on the goods which, due to his action, have not been discharged by Customs.

TIR Carnets are issued by approved TIR issuing Associations in the country in which the TIR Carnet Holder is established, or where the TIR transport begins (Sinyar in Oman). In special circumstances, a TIR Carnet may be issued to a foreign TIR Carnet Holder. In these cases, authorization in writing from the Association to which the Holder belongs is required.

The TIR Carnet can be used for road transit movements that also involve a journey by sea or rail. If a TIR operational country has the facilities to handle the TIR Carnet for journeys other than by road, the use of multi-modal TIR Carnets is possible. If it is not possible then the TIR transport is suspended during that element of the journey, which is therefore not covered by the TIR guarantee. The TIR transport, and control of the TIR Carnet, will be resumed at the first Customs office in a TIR operational country.

If the driver/holder claims that the TIR Carnet has been stolen or lost, then he should immediately approach nearby customs or inform to the concern competent authorities in the country where he is in, in order to record the event and obtain a report.

Customs should inform the association with the carnet details, whereby allowing association to invalidate the TIR carnet with the help of IRU. If the holder wishes to continue the TIR journey, then he should approach the TIR association (Mwasalat) in order to get a new TIR Carnet and to continue the TIR journey.

To download the guide on how to fill in the TIR Carnet.click here.

  • - A fully filled and signed TIR Carnet
  • - The presence of the TIR Plate on the truck (Provided by the association)
  • - Land Transport permit for the Truck
  • - Sealed truck (Done By Customs at borders)
  • - Submit a Customs Declaration
  • - Authorised Customs Broker

The TIR Handbook containing background information, the text of the TIR Convention, 1975 and explanatory notes and comments is available from the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.click here.

Yes. The term "heavy or bulky goods" covers any heavy or bulky object, which because of its weight, size or nature is not normally carried in a closed vehicle or closed container.

This can range from large machinery to livestock. Article 1 (p) of the TIR Convention refers. In such cases box 11 of the cover page of the TIR Carnet must be endorsed to the effect that heavy or bulky goods are being transported. The yellow manifest and each voucher of the Carnet must similarly be endorsed. Any additional documents such as photographs or plans required by Customs to identify heavy or bulky goods should be attached to the Carnet and noted in box 8 of every voucher in the TIR Carnet.

Road Vehicle Approval Certificate is a certificate issued by customs authorities to secure vehicles with the required specifications in order to ensure that once it has been sealed by customs, no goods can be introduced or removed from the load without breaking the seal (annex 2 of the TIR Convention).

  • (i) Alcohol and derived products except for beer or wine (prohibited goods are classified under HS Codes 22.07.10 and 22.08);
  • (ii) Tobacco and derived products except for raw tobacco (prohibited goods are classified under HS Codes 24.02.10, 24.02.20 and 24.03.10).